Thursday, July 2, 1970

Review Policy

I didn't think I would need to have something like this, but since my e-mail in-box is getting full with requests for reviews, I guess I should at least let you people know what your chances are of getting me to review your book.The first thing I need to point out is that I am not in any particular need of more reading material. I have several thousand unread books sitting on my bookshelves already. I don't normally solicit advance review copies, and for the most part I have no idea what books are due to be released in the near future. That situation may change in the (extremely) unlikely event that I ever actually conquer Mount To-Be-Read, but that day has not yet come to pass.

I am primarily interested in science fiction and fantasy. These genres are the meat of my reading and the primary focus of this blog. I also read a fair amount of nonfiction - mostly in the areas of science, history, and economics. A certain amount of historical fiction also piques my interest. If your book falls into one of those categories, I may be willing to push it near the top of my reading list and review it for you. If I agree to read and review your book, I will do so, although due to the many demands on my time I cannot promise that this will be done within any specific time frame. Unless I have agreed to read and review a book, I feel no obligation to do so, so sending me unsolicited books to review is at your own risk - I may read it and review it, or it may sit on my shelves gathering dust for the next decade. Finally, I generally don't review books in electronic formats. I don't have any particular animus against e-books, but I do most of my reading while commuting and I don't own (and currently have no plans to acquire) an e-reader. This means that if you send me a book in an electronic format, I'm going to have to read it at my computer and as a result it may be quite a while before I get to it.

As a final note: I don't normally read Christian fiction. If you have a Christian fantasy or Christian science fiction book that you really want to send me to read and review, realize that the fact that your book contains a Christian theme isn't going to immunize it against criticism that the book has a flimsy plot, weak characters, offensive messages, or silly contrivances. I suggest reading some of my previous reviews of Christian speculative fiction here, here, and here, and consider whether you really want me to read and review your book.

Home

No comments:

Post a Comment