Friday, September 27, 2013

Follow Friday - 125 Is the Sum of the Squares of 10 and 5, and the Sum of the Squares of 11 and 2


It's Friday again, and this means it's time for Follow Friday. There has been a slight change to the format, as now there are two Follow Friday hosts blogs and two Follow Friday Features Bloggers each week. To join the fun and make now book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  1. Follow both of the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts (Parajunkee and Alison Can Read) and any one else you want to follow on the list.
  2. Follow the two Featured Bloggers of the week - Words and Tea Bottles and Musings of a Blogger.
  3. Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing.
  4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments.
  5. Follow, follow, follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don't just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don't say "Hi".
  6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the love . . . and the followers.
  7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
  8. If you're new to the Follow Friday Hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!
And now for the Follow Friday Question: Reading Nook Tour: Give us a tour of your favorite reading spots.

I don't really have a favorite reading spot. Instead, I have a couple of spots that just happen to be where I do most of my reading, although I don't particularly like any of them over the others, or even particularly like any of them much.

My most typical reading spot is riding the bus, specifically the Loudoun County commuter bus which I ride every day to and from work. I don't have a picture of the interior of the buses, but here is a picture of one of the buses. Ideally I would get an hour to an hour and a half of good reading on each round trip, but like so many other things in life, I rarely achieve the ideal. And although this is probably the spot where I read the most, it is not my favorite reading spot. Sitting on the bus, crammed next to another commuter for an hour each way either going to my moderately stressful job or home after a long and usually exasperating day simply isn't a place that I would call my "favorite".

Another place that I do a lot of reading is sitting at my desk, which happens to be where I am sitting while I write this. It is not a great reading spot because there are a lot of distractions nearby - my computer is the most obvious. I also keep my work phone here, and on those occasions that I am working from home, my work laptop as well. I can also see the television from this spot, and it is right next to a window that overlooks a golf course, which makes for more comedy viewing than one might expect. On the other hand, it is kind of nice to read while sitting here, because when I need to write something down about the book, I am right in front of the computer and able to put my thoughts down immediately. Because it is next to the window, the spot also gets lots of natural light during the day, which is nice for reading. I'm not sure if those make up for the fact that this location is rife with tempting distractions, but they are at least something akin to offsetting benefits.

The once place that I probably should do most of my reading is on the couch in the living room (which happens to be on the other side of my desk, in the picture you can see the back of my computer monitor sitting behind the couch). Granted, it is still pointed directly at the television, but it doesn't have any of the other distractions that come with actually sitting at my desk. This spot also gets a lot of light, which is good for reading during the day. Most importantly, it is probably the most comfortable spot in the house, which, when you get right down to it, is something of a mixed blessing. Sure it is nice to read while sitting comfortably, but if you get too comfortable, it is very tempting to take a nap as well. Paradoxically, even though this is probably the best spot for me to read, it is the location that I use the least for reading. This means that I do the most reading in the place that I like the least, and do the least reading in the place that I like the most. I'm not sure what this says about me, but it is probably not good.

Go to subsequent Follow Friday: Gilgamesh Ruled Over Uruk for 126 years

Follow Friday     Home

2 comments:

  1. I like to read on my couch: http://caitstruelife.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/follow-me-friday-reading-nook-tour/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @caitstruelife: The couch is a good spot for reading.

      Delete