Wednesday, December 31, 1975

1975 Campbell Award Nominees

Location: Campbell Conference Awards Banquet in Lawrence, Kansas.

Comments: 1975 was the first year that the Campbell Awards didn't have an "odd" category, which was kind of an unusual development at this point in it's history. But other than noting the absence of a single-shot category, there's not much to say about it.

The results of the vote for Best Novel, on the other hand, leave me with something of a conundrum. While I'm a fan of Philip K. Dick, and I am always happy to see him having gotten the recognition that he clearly deserved despite commercial success always eluding him, I am somewhat disappointed that Ursula K. Le Guin didn't win. I like Philip K. Dick, and his work is always interesting, but I harbor a deep and abiding love for Le Guin's fiction, and The Dispossessed is one of her best.

Best Novel

Winner:
Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

Second Place:
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

Go to previous year's nominees: 1974
Go to subsequent year's nominees: 1976

Book Award Reviews     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment