Friday, December 16, 2011

Follow Friday - Forty-One Was Brian Piccolo's Number, Sing a Song for Him


It's Friday again, and this means it's time for Follow Friday. There has been a slight change to the format, as now there are two Follow Friday hosts blogs and two Follow Friday Features Bloggers each week. To join the fun and make now book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  1. Follow both of the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts (Parajunkee and Alison Can Read) and any one else you want to follow on the list.
  2. Follow the two Featured Bloggers of the week - Books Are Vital and Once Upon a Time.
  3. Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing.
  4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments.
  5. Follow, follow, follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don't just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don't say "Hi".
  6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the love . . . and the followers.
  7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
  8. If you're new to the Follow Friday Hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!
And now for the Follow Friday Question: When you’ve read a book, what do you do with it? (Keep it, give it away, donate it, sell it, swap it . . ?)

Seven thousand two-hundred and eighty-three books. And counting. That's the number of books that I have cataloged in my personal library. I have at least a couple dozen sitting waiting to be cataloged even now. Now, given that, does anyone think my answer to this question will be "give it away", "donate it", "sell it", or "swap it"? Basically, any title that comes into my possession is almost certain to be retained. I'll gladly trade, sell, or give away duplicate copies of books, but I try to keep at least one copy of every book that I have read.

One might ask why. Well, for different books I keep them for different reasons. Obviously, if a book is good, or merely okay, I keep it because I may want to reread it. Or just because having it reminds me of how it is. For a lot of books, I keep them in case I want to reference something in them, and need to look it up. And for bad books, I keep them so that they can be safely quarantined on my shelf and not inflicted upon any other unsuspecting reader.

Go to previous Follow Friday: Ali Baba Faced Off Against Forty Thieves

Follow Friday     Home

12 comments:

  1. Hello! New follower from Follow Friday! http://acostaeveli.blogspot.com/
    I'm amazed by your library. I have no idea how many books I have, but I only keep the ones I truly love. the others are in a TBR pile, because I bu them faster than I could read them, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over 7000 books?! Holy cow! I thought I had a lot of books, but you definitely win.

    Here is my Follow Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of book! Are they all on shelves? Or, do you have them in boxes?

    "And for bad books, I keep them so that they can be safely quarantined on my shelf and not inflicted upon any other unsuspecting reader."

    Ha ha! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow that's amazing you should have taken a picture for us!! I usually keep them too I want to one day have a room that's going to be my library :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'd love to come to your house to see all of your books. Great collections! New follower!

    My Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there I'm here via Follow Friday. I like your Sci Fi slant and I've been wanting to read more Sci fi. I've read quite a bit of fantasy in the past. Have you read any Dan Simmons or China Mieville? These authors are my recent discoveries. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Eveli Acosta: My "to read" pile is huge for the same reason yours is - I buy books faster than I can read them. The sad thing is, I'm a pretty fast reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rachel Brooks: Yes it is, and I am always on the look out for more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jenni Elyse: I have most of them on shelves. This page has pictures with most of the books on display (I have acquired several hundred more since those pictures were taken though).

    And yeah, I thought it was a funny line. Somebody has to quarantine toxic books though. Otherwise who knows what damage they might do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Giselle: I have some pictures - although the pictures are a few months out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @scribeswindow: I have not gotten to Mieville or Simmons yet, but I have several books by each of them. I will certainly be reading them in the reasonably near future.

    ReplyDelete