Saturday, March 14, 2015

Book Blogger Hop March 13th - March 19th: e.e. cummings Published "95 Poems" in 1958

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: What is more important to you when you are deciding to read a book?

The most important thing in a book, so far as I am concerned, is plot. But you cannot have a worthwhile plot without good characters. And good characters can't exist in a vacuum, so you can't have good characters without good world-building. So those are the things I look for in a book.

The main thing I want out of a book is that I want to care what happens in it. I want to care about the plot, and unless I care about the characters, that's simply not going to happen. So the characters have to be well-written and exist in a world that is convincing enough that their struggles seem to matter. Without that, there really isn't much point in a work of fiction.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. Great answer! I've read some books that I couldn't finish because I didn't like the characters. It's just like you say, I didn't care anymore what happened to them.

    Have a great week!
    Kathy @ My Nook, Books & More
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kathy A: I finish pretty much every book I start these days, because I'm going to review basically everything I read and I will at least finish everything I review. But if a book doesn't make me care about the characters, the world they inhabit, and the story they are living, then I'm not going to enjoy the experience.

      Delete