Saturday, December 5, 2015

Book Blogger Hop December 4th - December 10th: 132 Is the Smallest Minimal Osiris Number in Base 10

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: Which character in a book do you most likely see yourself? If none, who would you think would be your bff in real life?

This is not a particularly easy question for me to answer. While there are many characters in fiction that I like, there are almost none that I would like to be, and precious few that I would desire to have as friends. For the most part, I view characters in books as being creatures within their imagined mythos, and taking them out of it (or inserting someone from the outside like myself into it) would fundamentally change them. For example, I might imagine myself as Éomer, from The Lord of the Rings, but as I'm manifestly not Éomer, I wouldn't be doing the same things he does, which would mean that if you inserted me into his body, I wouldn't be him, but rather me dressed up in an Éomer suit.

I suppose I could say instead that I'd want to be buddies with Éomer, (or more likely, I'd want to be close friends with the somewhat more approachable Éowyn), but I'm not sure how I could be inserted into his world, or he into mine. If such a change was wrought, would the character still be the same character I wanted to be friends with? It seems to me that there are too many variables to comfortably answer that question, and as a result, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to run the risk of finding out that I could be paired up with someone who I liked when they were in their book, but couldn't stand when they were set free from it.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment