Saturday, May 5, 2018

Book Blogger Hop May 4th - May 10th: Aemilianus Was Roman Emperor for Three Months in 253 A.D.


Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: Do you ever feel like you have emerged better for reading a book?

Isn't that one of the main reasons that people read books? I mean, not all books are meaningful, and some that try to be have contents that are counterproductive to that goal (or are aimed at "educating" the reader and directing them towards a goal that I find repugnant), but lots of books are, and that is a big part of why we read them. Reading books is one of the primary ways that we educate ourselves, that we learn how to empathize with others, and experience viewpoints that differ from our personal perspective.

On that note, I suppose it is obvious that my answer to this weeks' question is yes: I have felt like I emerged better for reading a book. The number of books for which this is true is way too extensive for me to even begin to list them, so I'm not going to try. Suffice it to say that my thinking, my outlook, and my life have all been affected by a vast number of books, and will likely be affected by many more in the future.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. Books are powerful, so I'm sure we all have felt that power of transformation by reading at some time in our lives. I'm always so grateful for a good story. Just joined the hop, so came by to say hi. www.cleemckenziebooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @cleemckenzie: I am always reminded of Carl Sagan's commentary on the power of books: That they allow two people who have never met, once of whom may have been dead for centuries, to communicate an idea across the ages.

      Delete