Saturday, June 27, 2015

Book Blogger Hop June 26th - July 2nd: The Sears Tower Is 110 Stories Tall

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: Do others come to you for book recommendations?

The people who know I write this blog sometimes ask me for recommendations. Among my friends I am reckoned as the most prolific reader, so they sometimes ask for book recommendations. On the other hand, I am wont to give unsolicited book recommendations, so they frequently don't get the chance to ask first. This year, I managed to convince at least one of my friends to care about the Hugo awards this year and jump in to reading all of the nominated works. He has reported especially liking The Three-Body Problem.

The only person I don't usually give book recommendations to is my father. He often asks me about books that he has heard about, and wants to know if I am going to read them. He follows the book world, but our reading patterns only sometimes overlap. He's interested in science fiction and fantasy, and so he is generally aware of the buzz surrounding certain books, but he doesn't read much of it any more. So he'll get me a copy of The Legend of Broken, or ask if I have heard about The Martian, but he won't read them himself. So I don't recommend books to him so much as he asks me for news about books that he isn't going to read.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. I know I replied to your post, but not sure why it didn't show up.

    I am always asked for recommendations. That's funny about your dad. My dad liked Westerns and we bought him a lot of Louis L'Amour books, but I don't read Westerns.

    ENJOY your reading week.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elizabeth: I don't know why it didn't show up either. Maybe the internet gremlins ate it.

      My grandfather liked Westerns - his house was full of prints of Charlie Russell paintings, but he only had a few novels in the genre. His true love was mostly histories of the Old West. My father's true love is basically histories of the U.S. Civil War. My father likes to keep abreast of what is going on in the science fiction world though.

      Delete