Friday, June 26, 2015

Follow Friday - 216 Is the Smallest Cube That Is the Sum of Three Cubes


It's Friday again, and this means it's time for Follow Friday. There has been a slight change to the format, as now there are two Follow Friday hosts blogs and two Follow Friday Features Bloggers each week. To join the fun and make now book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  1. Follow both of the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts (Parajunkee and Alison Can Read) and any one else you want to follow on the list.
  2. Follow the two Featured Bloggers of the week - Hazy Reads and The Boundless Booklist.
  3. Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing.
  4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments.
  5. Follow, follow, follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don't just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don't say "Hi".
  6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the love . . . and the followers.
  7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
  8. If you're new to the Follow Friday Hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!
And now for the Follow Friday Question: Is there a book that you were required to read in school that you actually loved?

There were several books that I was assigned in school that I loved. Leaving aside Paradise Lost and the Canterbury Tales, both of which I only read excerpts of in school, I first encountered Heart of Darkness as a school assignment. I was assigned no fewer than three books by William Faulkner in high school: As I Lay Dying, Light in August, and The Sound and the Fury. I loved them all. I also read my first Hemingway in school - it was A Farewell to Arms. I first read The Confessions of Nat Turner as a school assignment. I read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead as a school assignment, although that's a play and some people might not count that as a "book". I will note that those people are wrong.

The thing is, I probably fell in love with most of the books I read for school. I loved Beowulf. I loved Of Arms and Men. I loved Not Either an Experimental Doll. I loved A Dry White Season. I loved The Mask of Command. I loved Freedom and the Law. I loved Bargaining with the State. I loved Order without Law. Pretty much all a class has to do is hand me a book as an assignment and I'll be a happy camper. Or at least a happy reader.


Follow Friday     Home

8 comments:

  1. I wish it had been like that for me. A lot of the books that were assigned to me I really didn't like. I almost failed my English classes my first two years of high school, because I wouldn't read the books.

    My FF: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/06/feature-follow-friday-required-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Stina: I'm sorry you didn't like your assigned books. I will say that there were several books I was assigned in school that I didn't particularly care for as well - I didn't really like Pride and Prejudice, and I pretty much loathed Catcher in the Rye. On the whole though, I liked more of the books that I was assigned than I disliked.

      Delete
  2. I commend you for loving Beowulf! I had to read it twice - in high school and in college and I didn't get too excited about it either time. Looks like you got to read some good stuff; I want to read more Faulkner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Maggie Seagraves: I've read at least two different translations of Beowulf, and I've also read Crichton's treatment of it titled Eaters of the Dead. I also have a book that I need to review called Beowulf in Film which is a collection of essays about the various film treatments of the story.

      Delete
  3. Hopping through. I always meant to read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead. I had a friend who loved it. I should get around to it.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alison Can Read: I assume you have read Hamlet. If you have not, you should read that before you read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, because Stoppard's play won't make much sense otherwise. That said, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is one of my favorite plays and I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  4. You have big list of books that you liked.I choose just one.Old follower.
    My FF:Books are my life

    ReplyDelete