Friday, July 10, 2015

Follow Friday - It Takes 218 Votes to Achieve a Majority in the U.S. House of Representatives


It's Friday again, and this means it's time for Follow Friday. There has been a slight change to the format, as now there are two Follow Friday hosts blogs and two Follow Friday Features Bloggers each week. To join the fun and make now book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  1. Follow both of the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts (Parajunkee and Alison Can Read) and any one else you want to follow on the list.
  2. Follow the two Featured Bloggers of the week - Let Me Be Fictional and Lucky Devil Reviews.
  3. Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing.
  4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments.
  5. Follow, follow, follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don't just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don't say "Hi".
  6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the love . . . and the followers.
  7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
  8. If you're new to the Follow Friday Hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!
And now for the Follow Friday Question: You can only eat one cuisine type for the rest of your life. Which would you choose? (e.g. Italian, French, Greek, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, etc. . .)

This is tough, because my first instinct is to choose Italian, but no matter which variety of Italian cuisine you choose - Sicilian, Neopolitan, Lombard, Venetian, and so on - they are all heavy on pasta, rice, or polenta, and due to being diabetic eating a diet heavy on those elements would probably kill me pretty quickly. The issue is that pretty much almost any national cuisine is loaded with rice, or bread, or potatoes, or some other heavy carbohydrate element which makes every one of them problematic. I suppose one could fashion some collection of Mexican style dishes while entirely eschewing tortillas and rice, but what would be the point? Or one could come up with some set of Chinese offerings entirely lacking in noodles and rice, but that wouldn't be very satisfying.

So what is a diabetic to do? The short answer is I don't know. The long answer is that I really don't know. Our diets are so predicated on eating large amounts of carbohydrates that there probably isn't a traditional style of cooking that one could pick and have it work for me without substantial alterations, and once you make substantial alterations, then you aren't really having that cuisine any more. I suppose the best option for me would be to pick Mediterranean style cuisine with the understanding that I'm talking about that style of food found ranging from Spain to Italy to Greece to Turkey characterized by lots of fish, olive oil, and lemons with the occasional chicken or lamb thrown in for good measure. And maybe I'd have some pasta or pita bread every now and then.


Follow Friday     Home

8 comments:

  1. It must be pretty hard to be diabetic; I'd have trouble keeping tracks of the foods I could eat. I'm sorry to hear that you are. :/ I ended up choosing Italian. I'm a new bloglovin' follower.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Krystianna: Its not hard keeping track of what food I should limit - basically anything with sugar - cookies, cakes, ice cream, pies, candy, and so on. Plus, anything heavy in carbohydrates like pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, polenta, and other foods of that nature. The problem isn't in knowing what foods to avoid, the problem is in actually avoiding them, since they are so pervasive in our diets.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. @Cozy in Texas: Nice to meet you! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Pasta sounds great. I'd love to have Chinese forever. Do check out my FF: http://bookstopcorner.blogspot.in/2015/07/feature-follow-16-my-favorite-cuisine.html

    Old follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ADITI SAHA: I love pasta, which makes not being able to eat it the way I like particularly annoying.

      Delete
  4. What would you choose if the redhead wasn't around to make you eat right?

    -The Redhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Angela: You know the answer is bacon cheeseburgers and ice cream.

      Delete