Friday, October 9, 2015

Follow Friday - 47 U.S.C. § 230 Provides Immunity for Online Publishers


It's Friday again, and this means it's time for Follow Friday. There has been a slight change to the format, as now there are two Follow Friday hosts blogs and two Follow Friday Features Bloggers each week. To join the fun and make now book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  1. Follow both of the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts (Parajunkee and Alison Can Read) and any one else you want to follow on the list.
  2. Follow the Featured Blogger of the week - Pinker Than Fiction.
  3. Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing.
  4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments.
  5. Follow, follow, follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don't just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don't say "Hi".
  6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the love . . . and the followers.
  7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
  8. If you're new to the Follow Friday Hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!
And now for the Follow Friday Question: Name a book you hated.

I have never liked The Catcher in the Rye. Actually, I pretty much loathe The Catcher in the Rye. I first read it when I was fifteen, and I hated pretty much every page. I couldn't stand Holden Caulfield, and kept waiting for him to develop from the worthless whiny idiot that he started as into someone who was at least tolerable, and he just didn't. Caulfield's biggest sin isn't that he is obnoxious and whiny, although he is definitely that, but rather that he is tiresomely dull. He is one of the very few characters in literature who I have used the eight deadly words upon. I couldn't even bring myself to hate Caulfield, I just wanted him to vanish into the depths of New York, never to be heard from again so that the book could turn to some interesting character instead. Like, perhaps, the young prostitute he tries to hook up with. Or the saxophonist that Caulfield makes fun of while illegally drinking liquor. Or the two girls he makes fun of because they like the saxophonist's performance. Or really anyone else at all.


Follow Friday     Home

10 comments:

  1. I agree, I am not a fan of Caufffeild.

    New bloglovin' follower, you can find me at https://burnsthroughherbookshelf.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Erin Burns: I think Catcher in the Rye is one of the most overrated books of the "modern" canon.

      Delete
  2. I have never read Catcher in the Rye, but I think I wouldn't like it, based on what you said. Sometimes classic just don't resonate with modern readers. Continuing follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @MsArdychan: Many people say it is supposed to resonate with teens, but I think that is mostly older people saying that because it is the sort of book they think will resonate with teens without really considering what teens like. I read it as a teen, and even then I thought Caulfield was a whiny nonentity.

      Delete
  3. OMG! AT last I find someone who agrees with me about this book!! I HATE, HATE, HATE this book, which I HAD to read in high school. I couldn't stand Caulfield! His cynicism was just disgusting, and his use of foul language totally revolted me. Nor did I like his attempts to hook up with a prostitute. To me, this book epitomizes the worst aspects of the male psyche.

    KUDOS to you for hating this book!! You have EXCELLENT literary taste! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Maria Behar: The foul language didn't bother me, but his cynicism did because it essentially rendered him inert. Even his attempt to hook up with the prostitute would have been more palatable had he not been such a nonentity in the whole exchange. He has almost no presence in the story. Most of the scenes in the book read almost as if he isn't actually in them.

      Delete
  4. It's been so long since I've read this one. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I think it's one I just wanted to cross off my list. :-) Old follower.

    My FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Baggins: I have a few books like that on my to-be-read pile. I just hope they are better than Catcher in the Rye.

      Delete
  5. I was supposed to read this in high school... but didn't. Now I'm really glad I skipped it and just cheated by using Spark Notes.

    New Bloglovin Follower!

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sookie Stackhouse: I don't normally endorse the use of such aids, but in the case of Catcher in the Rye I will make an exception.

      Delete