Saturday, September 23, 2017

Book Blogger Hop September 22nd - September 28th: Sherlock Holmes Lived at 221B Baker Street


Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: In regards of Banned Books Week (www.bannedbooksweek.org/), what are your favourite books that has been banned or challenged?

Given my love of science fiction, one might think that my favorite banned book would be a classic work of science fiction, such as Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, or even George Orwell's 1984. However, my favorite banned book is none of those. Instead, my favorite banned book is, and likely always will be, Harper Lee's To Catch a Mockingbird. I suppose it isn't really a big revelation that the book in which a lawyer is the hero would be my favorite banned book, but given that it was one of the primary influences that made me decide to become a lawyer, it seems almost inevitable that this would be my choice.

I also quite like Joseph Heller's Catch-22, which is a very different book from To Catch a Mockingbird in almost every way possible. I'm not sure what that juxtaposition means, but there is probably some deep insight into my psyche that could be gleaned from figuring that out.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. You're the first guy I've seen to do this Book Blogger Hop challenge! Awesome! :D

    I actually wasn't aware of many books that were banned, not even in school. I thought that was an oldfashioned type of thing. The way I see it, if you really want to read a book, you don't have to sneak around and try to hide it, even if it is "banned". Books are meant to be read, so why ban them because you don't like them? If the content is not to your liking (as a teacher or principal), don't read it to your students. But don't ban it so they will want to check it out even more. Kids are curious like that. How do you think Fifty Shades of Grey got popular?! 🤣

    My BBH- http://poemsbyayoungartist.blogspot.com/2017/09/bookblogger-hop-september-22-28-why-are.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @dani pitter: More books have been banned than most people think, and a lot of them are real headscratchers. On the other hand, I know people who refuse to allow their children to read the Harry Potter books because they are "satanic", so maybe it shouldn't be all that surprising that lots of books get banned for ludicrous reasons.

      Delete