Saturday, September 29, 2012

30 Days of Genre - What Is the Cover of Your Current or Most Recent Genre Read?

Time Untamed by Ivan Howard (editor)

My efforts to work through the list of International Fantasy Award winners is currently on hold as I wait for my copy of Edgar Pangborn's A Mirror for Observers to arrive. On the Hugo front, I need to track down my wayward copy of James Blish's A Case of Conscience. To fill in the gap while I'm waiting to get my hands on those, I'm catching up on some collections of short fiction that I have on hand. I've read through several volumes of Hugo winning novelettes and short stories, and right now I'm working on Time Untamed, another collection of short fiction.

Time Untamed is a quirky collection. It has no listed editor, and it took a fair amount of research to determine that the editor was Ivan Howard. But there appears to be very little information available about Howard other than the fact that he seems to have edited a small number of short fiction anthologies in the 1950s. The anthology is also unusual in that it features a collection of notable authors - Isaac Asimov, Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Clifford D. Simak, John Wyndham, Theodore Sturgeon, L. Sprague de Camp, and Fritz Lieber - but I am unfamiliar with the stories included in the collection. Given that I have read a fair amount of work by all of these authors, this is a somewhat difficult achievement. This may mean I have on my hands a trove of hidden gems. On the other hand, this may mean that these stories are all to lousy to have enduring appeal. Either way, this should be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment