Monday, September 24, 2012

Musical Monday - Apostrophe: A Grammatical Lament by The Doubleclicks


The Doubleclicks are on a East coast tour right now with Molly Lewis. Sadly, due to prior commitments, I will not be able to go see them when they come to play in Alexandria this Friday. This makes me sad, kind of like a lonely apostrophe. This song encapsulates a love of grammar with the inherent sadness of seeing it misused. I think that we need more songs about grammar and how terrible it is to be a much abused punctuation mark.

I don't think it is possible for me to adequately express how much I love the Doubleclicks and their music. In addition to being incredibly nice, witty, and interesting women, they write brilliant music with fantastic lyrics. I think that I love them mostly because their songs are not just about nerdy things, but are about nerdy things in an insightful, clever, and funny way. They don't just point to a nerdy thing and say "Hey, we're in the club, let's laugh at this funny nerdy thing." They take off-kilter topics, run them through their delightfully nerdy brains, and then make them even better than they were before.

Previous Musical Monday: Our Biggest Challenge by Symphony of Science

The Doubleclicks     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment