Sunday, March 30, 2014

Book Blogger Hop March 28th - April 3rd: In 1964 Donald Bernstein Demonstrated That All Numbers Are Equal to 47

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Jack of The Book Stop asks (via Billy): What are some of your favorite book blogs?


This is where I reveal that in some ways, I'm a very bad book blogger because I rarely read other book blogs. In fact, I rarely read reviews of fiction in any form. I tend to skip over sections in publications like Fantasy & Science Fiction and Locus that feature book reviews. It's not that I don't like reviews, it is just that I have a hard time following them unless I have actually read the book being reviewed. This is, of course, very ironic in that I write reviews in the hope that other people will read them.

Instead, I'm going to pick my current obsession, the Galactic Suburbia podcast hosted by Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, and Tansy Rayner Roberts. Galactic Suburbia is an Australian podcast (with the hosts recording from Melbourne, Perth, and Hobarth) focused on science fiction and fantasy with a decidedly feminist bent. They put out a new episode about once a month, with each one lasting between one and half and two hours. Alex is a reviewer, Tansy is a science fiction author, and Alisa is a science fiction publisher, and the three of them talk about issues in the science fiction community, the nominations for and winners of a variety of science fiction awards (with a slant towards science fiction awards in Australia such as the Ditmar and Aurealis awards) , and "culture consumed" where they talk about the genre fiction culture that they had consumed in since the previous episode. Their conversations are brilliant, funny, informative, and insightful. I simply cannot recommend them enough.

Go to subsequent Book Blogger Hop: '48 Is an Alternate History Novel by James Herbert

Book Blogger Hop     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment