Sunday, April 13, 2014

Book Blogger Hop April 11th - April 17th: '48 Is an Alternate History Novel by James Herbert

Book Blogger Hop

Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Annie of My Mommy the Writer asks (via Billy): What do you think is the best book marketing tool? Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Goodreads?

I have no idea. I have no special insight into the marketing of books, and as a result, I have no idea what marketing tool works and what marketing tool doesn't. Given the track record of the publishing industry, I suspect that most people who are marketing professionals don't have much idea what works and what doesn't either. As far as I can tell, most marketing professionals seem to use a shotgun approach to marketing, firing with a broad a spread as possible and hoping something sticks.

That said, here is the marketing strategy that has worked best on me: In-person author appearances. There are few things that will make me interested in a book more than meeting the author and having a conversation with them. Granted, this method can backfire if the author is a bore or a jerk, but by and large, most of the times that I have met an author, I have ended up acquiring one or more of their books.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. I think blogs are the best way then Goodreads.

    Hope you had a good weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Elizabeth: I don't know what works to market to other people, I only know what works on me, and for the most part, those are fairly ineffective strategies for marketing books to me. On the other hand, I think it is pretty well-established that I'm an outlier when it comes to book purchasing, so my experience is probably not that relevant.

      Delete