Friday, September 12, 2014

Follow Friday - Paragraph 175 Is a Documentary About Nazi Persecution of Gay Men and Women


It's Friday again, and this means it's time for Follow Friday. There has been a slight change to the format, as now there are two Follow Friday hosts blogs and two Follow Friday Features Bloggers each week. To join the fun and make now book blogger friends, just follow these simple rules:
  1. Follow both of the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts (Parajunkee and Alison Can Read) and any one else you want to follow on the list.
  2. Follow the two Featured Bloggers of the week - Something to Browse and Books to the Tea.
  3. Put your Blog name and URL in the Linky thing.
  4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments.
  5. Follow, follow, follow as many as you can, as many as you want, or just follow a few. The whole point is to make new friends and find new blogs. Also, don't just follow, comment and say hi. Another blogger might not know you are a new follower if you don't say "Hi".
  6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the love . . . and the followers.
  7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
  8. If you're new to the Follow Friday Hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!
And now for the Follow Friday Question: Before blogging (dark times people!) how would you find out about new books or did you?

Before the rise of the internet, I made great use of the library to find new books to read. When I was young, my family moved around a lot. First my father was in graduate school, and then later he joined the foreign service. As a result, for much of my early life I moved every year or two (in fact, when I spent three years in one high school, that was the longest I had ever spent at one school to that point). But every time we moved to a new place, there was always a library.

And each library introduced me to a slightly different set of books. I don't recall when, but at one point I discovered Andre Norton, so my first stop in a new library was always to locate where her books were kept and read all of the ones that I hadn't previously read. When I was in Tanzania I discovered Hergé's Tintin books and Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series. This was also I where found the non-fiction books of Ewart Oakeshott. And so on. Once I moved to a new home, I would locate the library and start working through their collection.


Follow Friday     Home

2 comments:

  1. We owe so much to libraries!

    Existing GFC follower

    My FF

    Kate @ If These Books Could Talk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kate Ward: Libraries are among the greatest achievements of civilization.

      Delete