Saturday, July 29, 2017

Book Blogger Hop July 28th - August 3rd: According to Sarah Connor in Terminator 2, a Normal Human Skeleton Has 214 Bones


Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: Do you read tie-in novels to movies or television series? If so, which ones?

I don't read tie-in novels all that often, although I own quite a few. I have read some, but the odd thing is that the ones that stick out in my memory the best are the ones where I read the tie-in book before I saw the movie. I read the novelization of Alien before I even knew that a movie existed. I read the novelization of Dragonslayer before I saw the movie. Part of the reason for this is that during the early 1980s, I was living in Africa, and it was far easier to get books to read than it was to be able to go see movies. Essentially, if a movie wasn't in the theatres during the relatively short time frame that I was in the United States each year, I didn't see it until much later, when videotapes (and later, DVDs) became commonplace.

The other somewhat odd thing about the relatively small handful of novelizations that I have read is that I have enjoyed them more than I enjoyed the movies. Alien, as a novel, was scarier than it ever was as a movie. Dragonslayer, as a novel, was more mythic in feel than it was on screen. I don't know if this would hold true if I read more movie novelizations, but in my experience thus far, movie novelizations have all been better than the movies they were tied in to.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment