Monday, July 31, 2017

Musical Monday - Jackie Blue by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils


Here is another "name" song, this one is what pops into my head when I see a woman I know who is named Jackie. There's nothing about the song other than the name that applies to her, but as I have said before, the name associations in my head are so strong that they seem to override almost every other consideration.

On an entirely unrelated note, this is the second song in a row that features the word "blue", which makes me wonder how common songs with "blue" in the title are in the last several decades of music music. There are, of course, the two songs I have featured here - Crystal Blue Persuasion and Jackie Blue - but off the top of my head I can also think of Blue Suede Shoes, recorded by a number of artists but most famously by Elvis, Blue Velvet, recorded by Bobby Vinton, Blueberry Hill, recorded by Fats Domino, and Blue Guitar, recorded by the Moody Blues. Bobby Vinton seems to have made a habit of recording songs with the word "blue" in the title: In addition to Blue Velvet, he also recorded Mr. Blue, Blue on Blue, Blue Moon, I Am Blue, and Blue, Blue Day, and a whole pile of others. Thinking about it, it is entirely possible that a decent portion of the songs recorded with the word "blue" in the title are because of Bobby Vinton's career.

Is the word "blue" particularly prevalent in the history of contemporary pop music? I don't know for sure, and I don't really have the inclination to do the research that would provide an answer one way or another, but it does seem like it is true.

Subsequent Musical Monday: Roly Poly Baby by Doris Day and Perry Blackwell

Ozark Mountain Daredevils     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment