Saturday, July 1, 2017

Book Blogger Hop June 30th - July 6th: 210 Is the Sum of Eight Consecutive Prime Numbers


Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: Name a book that changed your life.

The easy answer would be something like The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, both which I read when I was eleven, and pretty much launched my love of fantasy and science fiction to a new level. But while those books have been important in my life, I don't really think they changed it on a fundamental level.

I'd have to say that the books that most changed my life are the books that I read in law school. These books include Bruno Leoni's Freedom and the Law, Richard Posner's Problems of Jurisprudence, Robert Ellickson's Order without Law, Harold Berman's Law and Revolution, and even Richard Epstein's Bargaining with the State. These books fundamentally shaped the way I think about the law and how government works. I didn't agree with everything in these books, and in many cases, I completely reject the conclusions reached by the author, but they do inform how I think about the nature of the rules that govern society. Everything about my professional career has been shaped by these books and the other books in this field that I have read.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. For me it would be Outlander. I got me back into reading after 4 years of studying English Lit in college.

    Terri M., the Director
    http://secondrunreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Unknown: I haven't read Outlander, but I hear that it is pretty good. I think I have the first volume in the series around somewhere, so maybe I should get around to reading it.

      Delete