Monday, June 22, 2020

Musical Monday - You Can't Hurry Love by Phil Collins

#1 on the Billboard Hot 100: Never.
#1 on the Cash Box Top 100: Never.
#1 on the U.K. Chart: January 15, 1983 through January 22, 1983.

To be perfectly honest, about 90% of what makes this version of You Can't Hurry Love interesting is the video featuring Phil Collins as essentially all three of the Supremes. The other 10% is that Phil does a fairly creditable job covering the song.

There's not much else to say about this version of You Cant Hurry Love. The song is a Motown classic, originally released by the Supremes in 1966 and covered by Phil Collins in 1982. Phil's performance is solid, but he's not Diana Ross. He's not Florence Ballard of Mary Wilson either. Other than the gimmick of having Phil perform all three parts in the video, there's almost no reason to listen to this version rather than the Supremes' version.

Previous Musical Monday: Maneater by Hall and Oates
Subsequent Musical Monday: Down Under by Men at Work

Previous #1 on the U.K. Chart: Save Your Love by Renée and Renato
Subsequent #1 on the U.K. Chart: Down Under by Men at Work

List of #1 Singles from the Billboard Hot 100 for 1980-1989
List of #1 Singles from the Cash Box Top 100 for 1980-1989
List of #1 Singles on the U.K. Chart for 1980-1989

Phil Collins     1980s Project     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment