Saturday, February 2, 2013

30 Days of Genre - What Genre Novel Haven't You Read, but Wish You Had?

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos Series
 

There isn't a whole lot to say on this, because it is explicitly about a series of books that I have not read. The novels are set in a strange magical world in which humans are second class citizens behind the Drageara and the extradimensional Jenoine occasionally try to invade and take over. Oddly, the Jeonine are responsible for the structure of the world and the existence of the Dragaera. The part of the world that the novels are set in is ruled over by the Dragearan Empire, which is ruled by seventeen houses, whose primacy in the Empire rotates based upon a magical orb of unknown origin. In short, it is a very strange fantasy world.

The central character in the series is Vlad Taltos, a human assassin who works for the Dragaera. The stories involve his maneuverings through the underworld of criminals that he operates in and the political intrigue that he is drawn into by the lucrative contracts that he is sometimes offered. Not having read the series, I don't have any more details, or really know much of anything else about the books. Several people have recommended them to me, and they certainly seem like the kind of dark and somewhat off-beat fantasy that I would like. I own all of the books in the series, but I haven't read them yet. I don't know why I haven't gotten to them, I just haven't. Maybe I should do that this year.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I haven't read any of the books and I'd love your take on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Julia Rachel Barrett: Well, that's the push I need. Once I've cleared my backlog of review copies, I'll be starting Brust's series.

    ReplyDelete