Sunday, December 1, 2019

Running - Weekly Log for November 24, 2019 through November 30, 2019

Last Week's Mileage Goal: 23 miles
Actual Miles Last Week: 23 miles
Run/Walk Miles: 0 miles
Cumulative Mileage: 162 miles.
This Week's Mileage Goal: 24 miles
Current Weigh-In: 202.8

Last week was a pretty bad week, but I kind of expected that. Any week with travel and a holiday in the middle of it is going to be rough. I did do the miles on the road that I had hoped to do, but they weren't really particularly good miles. I had hoped to get in a speed workout. I didn't. I had hoped to get in a long run. I didn't. I had hoped to run sub-40 in the 5K race. I didn't. Overall, I don't think I made much progress, but as a condolence, I think I mostly held my ground. Despite the abundance of food during Thanksgiving and the following days, I only seem to have gained one pound.

The 5K on Saturday was especially disappointing. I had hoped to be able to run it in under 40 minutes, but I struggled to maintain a pace that was just under 15 minutes a mile. I missed the 40 minute goal by more than 5 minutes, which is an eternity in 5K race terms. Not only that, I really had to grind to get even that result. Everything about Saturday's race was just discouraging.

Even so, the experience was valuable. I now know just how far away I am from even the relatively modest goals I have set for myself. I think that my training regimen is still in the embryonic phase, as opposed to the more mature stage I thought it was getting to. The conclusion I have come to is that it is still far to early to seriously begin doing regular speed workouts. Right now, my focus needs to be continuing to put a base of miles under my feet and building endurance.

The upshot of all this is that for the foreseeable future I am going to continue my plan of running four to five miles a day on workdays and eight to ten miles a day on non-work days. I am actually in a position at this point that I don't think I need to build rest days into my weekly training regimen unless other commitments require them.

I have a 5K time trial scheduled in a month. I'm going to just pile on miles until then, and I'll reevaluate my training regimen iin January after the time trial.

Previous Weekly Running Log: November 17, 2019 through November 23, 2019

Running     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment