Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Random Thought - My Nominations for the 2017 Hugo Awards

This past Friday, March 17th, was the deadline for submitting nominations for the 2017 Hugo Awards. Listed below are my nominations in each category. I probably forgot some things that I should have nominated in place of some of the things on here - in fact, in some cases, I know I did, although I will never reveal which ones.

On the whole, however, I am satisfied with my choices. I don't think this is likely to be close to what the actual final ballot looks like. I don't think my tastes in science fiction and related areas are that far out of the mainstream, but I do have some idiosyncrasies that ensure that some of my choices are going to be outliers. It will certainly be interesting to compare this to the actual ballot when it is released in April.

One wrinkle this year is that there is an experimental category for the awards: Best Series. Of all the categories this year, I am most lukewarm on my set of nominations in this one, mostly because I am kind of lukewarm on the entire category. I only keep up with a handful of book series, mostly because of time limitations, and as a result, there weren't a whole lot of choices other than those I made that I could have selected. I like all the series that I nominated, but I am generally not all that comfortable with a category that I feel I have such a limited range of viable options to choose from.

Best Novel

An Accident of Stars by Foz Meadows
Cloudbound by Fran Wilde
Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal
The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds

Best Novella

Down and Out in Purgatory by Tim Powers
The Dream-Quest of Velitt Boe by Kij Johnson
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
The Heart Is Eaten Last by Kameron Hurley
A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson

Best Novelette

The Jewel and Her Lapidary by Fran Wilde
Sooner or Later Everything Falls into the Sea by Sarah Pinsker
The Terracotta Bride by Zen Cho
Touring with the Alien by Carolyn Ives Gilman
You'll Surely Drown Here If You Stay by Alyssa Wong

Best Short Story

A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers by Alyssa Wong
Red in Tooth and Cog by Cat Rambo
A Salvaging of Ghosts by Aliette de Bodard
Seasons of Glass and Iron by Amal El-Mohtar
You Are Not the Hero of this Story by Caroline M. Yoachim

Best Related Work

The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley
Michael Moorcock: Fiction, Fantasy, and the World's Pain by Mark Scroggins
Modern Masters of Science Fiction: Octavia Butler by Gerry Canavan
Nobody Owns the Moon: The Ethics of Space Exploration by Tony Milligan

Best Graphic Story

Pretty Deadly, Volume 2: The Bear by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios
Rat Queens, Volume 3: Demons by Kurtis J. Wiebe
Sex Criminals, Volume 3: Three the Hard Way by Matt Fraction
Saga, Volume Six by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Best Dramatic Presentation: Long Form

Arrival
Captain America: Civil War
Ghostbusters
Hidden Figures
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Best Dramatic Presentation: Short Form

Daredevil: New York's Finest
The Expanse: Leviathan Wakes
Game of Thrones: Battle of the Bastards
Luke Cage: Manifest
Stranger Things: The Upside Down

Best Professional Editor: Short Form

C.C. Finlay
David Steffan
Lynne M. Thomas and Michael Damian Thomas
Sean Wallace
Sheila Williams

Best Professional Editor: Long Form

Marco Palmieri
Diana Pho
Joe Monti
Miriam Weinberg
Navah Wolfe

Best Professional Artist

Julie Dillon
Tess Fowler
Jeph Jacques
Elizabeth Leggett
Fiona Staples

Best Semi-Prozine

Daily Science Fiction
Lightspeed Magazine
Shimmer
Strange Horizons
Uncanny Magazine

Best Fanzine

Chaos Horizon
Galactic Journey
Journey Planet
Lady Business
Rocket Stack Rank

Best Fan Writer

Alexandra Erin
Camestros Felapton
Natalie Luhrs
Foz Meadows
Alexandra Pierce

Best Fan Artist

Liz Argail
Grace Fong
likhain

Best Fancast

The Audio Guide to Babylon 5
Down and Safe
Galactic Suburbia
Under Discussion: The Under Gopher Podcast
Verity!

Best Series

The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (first volume in the series: Leviathan Wakes)
Fairyland by Catherynne M. Valente
God's War by Kameron Hurley
Magic ex Libris by Jim C. Hines
Xuya by Aliette de Bodard

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer

Charlotte Ashley
N.S. Dolkart
Carrie Patel
Natasha Pulley
Kelly Robson

What Are the Hugo Awards?

Book Award Reviews     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment