Sunday, March 8, 1970

Author - Hurley, Kameron

Angela, Kameron, and me at GenCon 2014
Birth: I don't know when it happened, but I'm pretty sure it was in Washington state.

Death: Still alive and writing excellent fiction.

Comments: Kameron Hurley is an American science fiction and fantasy author who is probably best known for her essay about the historical place of women in combat titled We Have Always Fought. Hurley earned a B.A. from the University of Alaska and an M.A. from the University of Kwu-Zulu Natal. She has published five books, the first three comprising the God's War series, the remaining pair making up the first two volumes of the Worldbreaker Saga. In addition, Hurley writes a regular column for Locus Magazine.

It is quite possible that following Kameron on social media saved my life. She is diabetic, and wrote an excellent essay about her experiences as an undiagnosed diabetic, and the life-threatening crisis that led to identifying her condition and getting treatment for it. reading the essay made me realize that I was experiencing the exact same symptoms she had described, but they had crept up on me slowly enough that I had come to regard them as normal. Thanks to Kameron's openness about her medical history, I didn't have to have a life-threatening crisis before I sought treatment for what turned out to be my own diabetes.

In 2014 she won the Hugo Awards for Best Related Work and Best Fan Writer. She has been nominated for the Nebula Award, the Clarke Award, the BSFA Award, and the Locus Award.

Hurley has a website named Kameron Hurley. She can also be found on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

 

My reviews of Kameron Hurley's books:
The Stars Are Legion

Other books by Kameron Hurley that I have read but not reviewed:
None

Short fiction by Kameron Hurley appearing in works that I have reviewed:
None

Authors - H     Authors A-Z     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment