Monday, July 26, 2021

Musical Monday - I Should Have Known Better by Jim Diamond


#1 on the Billboard Hot 100: Never.
#1 on the Cash Box Top 100: Never.
#1 on the U.K. Chart: The week of December 1, 1984.

This is a song that I missed in the 1980s. I have basically no recollection of this song or this singer, which isn't entirely surprising, since he apparently only had success in Europe. That said, if I had first heard it in 1984 when it was released, I probably would have thought it was a hopelessly romantic, albeit super sappy song. On the other hand, first hearing it now, this song bothers me a bit. The lyrics - I should have known better/Than to lie to someone as beautiful as you - seem to imply that there is some level of plainness that makes lying to them acceptable. That sits wrong with me now in a way that it probably wouldn't have when I was a teenager. The implication just would not have occurred to me back then.

Previous Musical Monday: I Feel for You by Chaka Khan
Subsequent Musical Monday: The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Previous #1 on the U.K. Chart: I Feel for You by Chaka Khan
Subsequent #1 on the U.K. Chart: The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

List of #1 Singles from the Billboard Hot 100 for 1980-1989
List of #1 Singles from the Cash Box Top 100 for 1980-1989
List of #1 Singles on the U.K. Chart for 1980-1989

Jim Diamond     1980s Project     Musical Monday     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment