Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Random Thought - The Litany Against McDune

In 1966, Frank Herbert won the Nebula Award and shared the Hugo Award for the novel Dune. It was a masterpiece of science fiction writing. He followed up on this work with Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune. Opinions regarding the later books penned by Frank Herbert are mixed. But they do hold together in a strange sort of way.

Unfortunately, after his death, Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert decided to cash in on his father's achievement and, after enlisting Kevin J. Anderson to assist him, began cranking out awful additions (mostly prequels) to the Dune series. This has come to be known as McDune.

In Dune, the Bene Gesserit teach the Litany Against Fear, a mantra the trained use to face and overcome their fear, rendering it powerless against them. At the suggestion of my friend DunesDreamer, I have composed the Litany Against McDune:

I must not read McDune
Brian Herbert is the mind-killer
Kevin J. Anderon is the little-death that brings total commercialization
I will resist McDune
I will permit is to pass over me unread, my memories unsullied
And when it has gone away, I will turn my reading eye to see its slime
Where Brian and KJA are gone and there will be no McDune
Only Dune will remain


Random Thoughts     Home

2 comments:

  1. ROTFLMAO! Bwaaaa-haaaa! Dune is my all-time favorite sci fi read - I reread it every single year and I have since I was 14 years old.
    I've read Frank Herbert's sequels - pretty much sucky, but I've avoided his son's additions to the Dune family. OMG! This post is so hilarious!

    ReplyDelete