Saturday, March 24, 2018

Book Blogger Hop March 23rd - March 29th: 247 A.D. Was Marked as the Millenium of Rome


Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: When meeting with friends, do your discussions usually turn to books?

It really depends on the group of friends I am meeting with. I have, more or less, three fairly distinct groups of friends whose interest in books ranges from "high" to "mild".

My group of friends least interested in books are drawn from the people I work with. Some of them have an interest in books, but it is mostly a passing interest. Topics of discussion (when we aren't talking about work-related matters) ranges pretty far and wide. Sometimes we talk about books, but more often we talk about movies, television shows, college basketball, our children, and other things like that.

My second group of friends is comprised primarily of the people in my regular gaming group. We usually gather to play board or role-playing games, and the conversation often includes books. After all, we are usually playing games with a fantasy or science fiction theme, and most of the people in the game are fans of those genres. The conversation often touches on books, most often on graphic novels, since a couple of the game group regulars are comic book fans, but it often turns to other science fictional related media like Marvel and Star Wars movies or the latest Netflix series.

My third group of friends are the people I know through my membership in the Washington Science Fiction Association, the organization that, among other things, administers and bestows the WSFA Small Press Award and organizes and puts on Capclave every year. When people from that group get together, the subject of books is always the primary (and often only) subject of conversation. It is a group that is primarily dedicated to putting on a literary-oriented science-fiction convention after all.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

4 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have friends you can discuss books with in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lynn: If they weren't, they wouldn't be the kind of people that I would be friends with.

      Delete
  2. I'm the same . . . it depends on which friends I'm hanging out with and what's going on with life at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chrissy: I have to say that I prefer to hang out with my book friends.

      Delete