Saturday, November 25, 2017

Book Blogger Hop November 24th - November 30th: 47 U.S.C. § 230 Provides for Protection of Private Blocking and Screening of Offensive Material on the Internet


Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: What's your immediate feeling when entering a bookstore, as compared to how you feel when entering a department store?

I don't really go to department stores all that often, although I have walked through them on the way to other things in a mall - most commonly a food court. On those occasions that I do go to a department store, I am usually there to get something specific, and my aim is to get into the store, find the thing I came in to get, pay for it and leave in as short a time frame as possible. I suppose the feeling I get when I enter a department store is basically "let's try to get this over with as quickly as we can".

When I walk into a bookstore, especially a used bookstore, I might be intent on getting something specific, but even if I am, I will usually spend some time perusing the shelves. I am apt to spend an hour or two in a bookstore if I am left to my own devices. I can't stand browsing for things like clothes or most other items, but I'll happily spend extended periods of time hunting through stacks of books, looking for that out of print book I had been wanting to find, or locating something unexpected, like a book that I didn't know existed by one of my favorite authors. The best description I can come up with for the feeling I get when I enter a book store is "anticipation".


Book Blogger Hop     Home

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, I can spend an hour or two or three in a bookstore just looking. I can't do that in a department store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chrissy: Once upon a time, I was married to a woman who couldn't understand why I would want to spend a couple of hours in a used book store or at a library book sale. She thought one should just go in, find what they wanted, and leave. She didn't understand why it took me so long to do exactly that. This is among the reasons that I am not married to her any more.

      Delete