Saturday, August 4, 2018

Book Blogger Hop August 3rd - August 9th: Irish High King Cormac mac Airt Reportedly Died in 266 A.D.


Jen at Crazy for Books restarted her weekly Book Blogger Hop to help book bloggers connect with one another, but then couldn't continue, so she handed the hosting responsibilities off to Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. The only requirements to participate in the Hop are to write and link a post answering the weekly question and then visit other blogs that are also participating to see if you like their blog and would like to follow them.

This week Billy asks: Have you ever had a bookish, nocturnal dream? If so, please share the story. If not, have you ever had a daydream related to books? If so, please tell us about it.

With respect to the first part of the question, the answer is no. The reason is that I simply don't remember anything about my dreams. Or if I do remember anything about a dream, the memory is so chaotic and jumbled that it is simply impossible for me to make any kind of coherent sense out of those memories. I might have had a bookish dream, but if I did, I don't remember it well enough to give an account of what it was about.

As an aside, this question reminds me of a sequence in C.S. Lewis' Voyage of the Dawn Treader where the crew comes across an island and find a refugee who explains that the island is a place where dreams come true. The crew is excited about this, imagining their fond desires will be met, whereupon the refugee says that they are wrong - the island doesn't make daydreams come true, it makes dreams come true. With that revelation, the entire crew immediately jumps to the oars to pull the ship away from the island as quickly as possible.

With that preface, I will say that I have had some bookish daydreams (although not as many as one might think, given the number of books that I read). Over the years I have had daydreams about being (or at least having the powers of) various superheroes, living in some fantasy or science fictional worlds, or simply having access to particular technology or power. I have often daydreamed about living in a world in which Niven's teleport pad technology or Bester's "jaunt" ability was real, and how much more convenient life would be. That's about the extent of my bookish dreams though.


Book Blogger Hop     Home

No comments:

Post a Comment