Thursday, June 18, 1970

Musical Artist - Rabbitt, Eddie

Eddie Rabbitt was an American country music singer and songwriter best known for his crossover hits I Love a Rainy Night and Drivin' My Life Away. Like many country artists, Rabbitt got his start in Nashville as a songwriter, penning hits such as Kentucky Rain for Elvis Presley and Pure Love for Ronnie Milsap. Rabbitt signed with Elektra Records in 1975 and released his first album that same year that included the country hits Forgive and Forget, I Should Have Married You, and You Get To Me.

Over the next few years, Rabbit released more albums and scored more country hits including the number one single Drinkin' My Baby (Off My Mind). In 1977 the Academy of Country Music named Rabbitt Top New Male Vocalist of the Year. After touring with crossover artists Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, Rabbitt released the album Variations, which included more hit country singles including I Can't Help Myself and I Just Want to Love You, as well as the crossover hit Every Which Way But Loose.

Over the next few years, Rabbitt continued to have significant success as a crossover artist, with hit singles such as Suspicions, I Love a Rainy Night, Step by Step, Drivin' My Life Away, Someone Could Lose a Heart Tonight, and You and I (a duet with Crystal Gayle). Rabbitt's career continued through the 1980s, with his 1988 album I Wanna Dance With You producing the hit singles The Wanderer, I Wanna Dance with You and We Must Be Doin' Somethin' Right. Rabbitt's 1990 album Jersey Boy produced the hit single On Second Thought.

By 1991, Rabbitt's career, like that of many other country music artists of his era, had stalled. Although he released a couple more albums in the 1990s, he failed to achieve significant commercial success. Rabbitt died of lung cancer in 1998 at the age of 56.

Musical Monday Selections:

02/25/19: I Love a Rainy Night

Musical Monday      Musical Artists - R     Musical Artists A-Z    Home

No comments:

Post a Comment